About me

My name is Marko Markovic and I am a software developer, a musician and a researcher. I am intrigued by algorithms and new techniques and I want to improve my software development skills.

While working on different projects I like to document what I have learned. A new technique, a new algorithm, solution to a problem or a tool. The reason I am writing this blog is to help out other people in their programming endeavors and also I write so I won't forget.

If you are interested to find out more about me visit markomarks.com

Friday, January 2, 2015

Android: Fatal signal 11

Hello there guys,
Don't blink, this will be a quickie :)

I started panicking when I got this exception "Android Fatal signal 11 (SIGSEGV) at ... (code=1)" in the Eclipse environment.

The description in the LogCat is pretty vague and scary, and I lost a lot of time backtracking my steps. The solution to this problem for me was rather simple. The png image I have put in the project was too big.

I have used an image with a 3000x3000 resolution. In the IDE everything looked and behaved ok, but when you were loading it onto your device (my wrinkly Samsung Galaxy S II) it gave that exception.

Oh, and I didn't need an image that big, 96x96 was what I was going for, but stupid me forgot to re-size it. What is the resolution/memory threshold of an image? I don't know, but be wary when using big images in your projects.

Honestly, I would have never guessed that a simple image was the problem. I hope you found this useful and don't go through the torture I did.

Be careful crossing the street,
Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive